Protecting Your Immune System
Smiling through the cold...how is everyone doing this cold and flu season? Winter is here and not leaving anytime soon...so how do you protect your immune system?
1. Vitamin C - By far the most popular choice and thought to increase the production of white blood cells which are key to fighting infections.
2. Garlic - Helps lower blood pressure and slow down hardening of the arteries. Also has immune boosting properties.
3. Ginger - Helps with inflammation, as well as sore throats and other inflammatory illnesses. Also helps decrease nausea.
4. Green Tea - Packed with flavonoids, a type of antioxidant as well as EGCG which aids the immune system.
5. Yogurt - Look for "live and active cultures" printed on the label such as Greek yogurt. These cultures stimulate the immune system. Plain or the lowest amount of added sugar is best.
Do you also know that stress and lack of sleep can also affect your immunity? Exercise, meditation, seeing a comedy, or spending time with friends can be great mood boosters and also decrease stress and anxiety. Less stress and anxiety can therefore mean a good nights sleep.