Gut health...microbiome...good bacteria...probiotics...hear these words a ton? I get many questions about this. Should you be taking probiotics?
We all have bacteria in our body...don't freak out!!! It's the good kind that helps with digestion! Sometimes you lose "good" bacteria in your body, (taking antibiotics, GI problems) and probiotics can help replace them.
Probiotics are “good” live bacteria and yeasts that aid your digestive system and keep your gut healthy. There are NATURAL probiotic foods, so no need to reach for the pills first! Fermented foods retain some of their live cultures (make sure they are labelled as foods with probiotics).
Some popular options are:
1. Yogurt - Contains lactobacillus and bifidobacterium ... both are good bacteria. Always look for no sugar added options.
2. Kimchi - Popular Korean dish made from fermented cabbage and spices.
3. Kombucha - Fermented tea... Pay attention to the sugar content of many versions and be mindful of the slight alcohol content.
4. Sauerkraut - Another version of fermented cabbage, and contains lactic acid.
5. Honorable mentions - kefir, sour pickles, sourdough bread
*Remember that probiotics are not cures and only help aid with digestive health*
Which probiotics do you take?